Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Solomon Kane

Well I purchased 'The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane' in order to understand Duff's hero better. I know why Duff loves SK so much. The man carries a sword or rapier and with it and his courage defeats the bad guys. Since Duff was attacked by dogs at the tender age of two he has had a great love for swords. His young mind quickly understood a sword can equalize a fight between a dog and a two year old. Prior to the incident he had a plastic sword with which he played at times. His dad had made him a wooden sword as a present for Christmas. (the attack occured the day before Christmas Eve) After the dog attack, that landed him in surgery for over two hours, I was concerned he would ever after fear dogs. (My older sister Cathy had a bad experiance with dogs when young and I saw her work through dog fear.) One thing changed about Duff, after he left the hospital and was home for Christmas, and that was his attitude towards swords. Instead of occasional play as with the prior plastic sword the wooden sword his dad gave him, never left his side. He slept with it, he carried it about, and I eventually made a holder for it so that he could belt it to himself and have his hands free.
One day a large golden retriever type dog came into our front yard, I could tell he was simply curious about Duff and had no attack in mind so I stayed back to watch Duff and see how he would handle this large strange dog coming into the yard. I was ready to chase it off and rescue if needed, but as I saw little Duff drawing his sword and advancing on the dog I realized no rescue was needed. Duff went and bopped the dog on the head with his sword and told the dog, "GO AWAY", well the dog turned tail and ran. Duff sheathed his sword and as he turned toward me, the smile on his face was amazing. He had seen the enemy, been prepared, and was victorious on the field of battle with a foe twice his size and by a type of foe who had once defeated him. Well, I must say ,in many ways, that is how he has conducted himself since then, only the foes are often much larger and harder to discern and the ravages they make in lives not as quickly amenable to simple surgery. This foe, of course, is evil ideation. So Fight on Duff, keep your sword sharp and your mind discerning!

5 comments:

n8 said...

duff is, indeed, a stud

msconflicted said...

What a GREAT story!

Duff said...

I still like swords. Real ones and wooden. Or bamboo.

Hilary said...

Duff... words fail me.

n8 said...

hm, just realized there is a sword (of sorts) in duff's profile pic