Sunday, April 22, 2007

Bitch

Bitch, I have been thinking about this word lately. In Webster's it is defined as a female dog, wolf, fox, or otter. That has brought a little understanding into how it has come to be used as an informal derogatory,(as in a woman whom one dislikes or considers unpleasant and malicious, said woman usually expressing that unpleasantness and maliciousness through her tounge.) What I have had trouble understanding is how these attributes came to be associated with a dog. I have owned female and male dogs and have found both sexes to be loyal, forgiving, teachable, and ready to forget that last angry outburst of mine in exchange for a good scratch behind the ears. (Oh that man could be so easily consoled......or can he?) Now how can those doggie attributes be associated with a carping woman? I have never (that I can recall) been called 'bitch' to my face, but if I am, I think I will ask, "Now are you refering to the female dog, wolf, fox, or otter?" and if they say dog, I think I will reply "Well Thank You." If they reply wolf, fox, or otter I will reply, "Insult heard and to be reflected on..." (Cause I would imagine that a female wolf, fox, or otter is much more descriptive of the point the accuser is trying to make)

8 comments:

n8 said...

the only comment i will make here is "no comment"

afreeflyingsoul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
afreeflyingsoul said...

i would say, "i haven't peed you your carpet yet, but if you really want me to..."

Duff said...

Wolves are awesome though.

Otters swim on their back and eat shell-fish on their tummies... so maybe that is bitch like behavoir?

djdm.mom said...

I personally think a new word needs to be coined for the carping, complaining woman. What could it be?

msconflicted said...

I have been called one. I have called others BITCH.
When you really narrow it all down, it shows poor vocabulary skills by the people who use it on a regular basis. Your right, it's time to move on and use something else.

Unknown said...

Hey, I didn't use that word if you think that's what this is about.

msconflicted said...

No, No, No.....
I certainty did not mean to imply that you did. I was confessing my own weakness for using the word and agreeing with Mrs. N that we should use a different one in its place. I have started using troll. Although, I guess it's wrong to call anyone out of their proper name.
Your son Daniel told me how you have taught him to honor and cherish women. He is such a great person to know. I can only assume that his parents are stellar people. :-)