Wednesday, January 30, 2008

on the copying of other artists work continued by me

I think the statement below mirrors my ideas. One of the things that influences American thought is Copyright law; however, the vanity of mind that we are all so original, also plays a role. We do not want to steal, or represent our work as our own if it is not. However we cut ourselves off from a treasure trove of learning if we do not spend time in copy. How to solve this? I don't know, I do copy but always with a feeling of guilt. I make sure to attribute due where it is due and would never sell a copied work, however I need the genius of others. To work their work and see through their eyes gives me eyes I would not have had otherwise. So I seek to copy the techniques of genius , sometimes a whole work, and as I learn and it becomes part of my presuppositional thought, their genius might shine again through me...I could only hope.
The reason I air again these thoughts with which my family is so familiar is the anti-copy attitude I find in a fellow artist with whom I work.

2 comments:

lfioritto said...

I learned most of what I know about ceramics working side by side with master potters at a community art center in Mesa, Arizona. There is a lot to learn through the process of copying but I feel I gained more through failing and the kind words of encouragement I received. I miss working with clay!

(Mia's Mom)

djdm.mom said...

Hi Mia's mom! We are so excited about Ryan and Mia. If you are ever down Mississippi way I would love to have you stay with us, we could play in clay together! Melinda