Monday, September 22, 2008

Comment to Hilary

I was reading your blog with interest.  The comment on Russian novels caught me.  No longer a mind which is only academic - rather one which has gone with  sorrowful heart through death with friend, grief over people who hurt our dear loves, distress over sickness and debility in one formerly strong and vigorous ... ( For me even simple t.v. car chase scenes  can be hard to take --knowing Lori who was broadsided by a careless driver, years in recovery and still in pain.)  The life of Christ teaches that on this earth the bad guy often wins and destruction has its way.  Grief, the pain which cannot make it right.  The wrong which cannot be escaped.  Christ wept, we weep. Not overcome with evil but overcoming evil with good.   Sometimes working through the things which are actually happening is all we can do.  When we read or watch t.v., a diversion from the sadness is what our emotions need, not an emersion in another set of characters and the pain of their lives.  So enjoy your respites and when the mind is ready, it will approach those novels with an expanded and hard won comprehension, my dear, lovely niece.
P.S.  I really was sick Saturday night!  When I got home my temp. was 101 !

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I hope you are feeling better now.

Thanks for the post. It helps knowing I'm not the only one who has this strange dilemma. I have wondered if books and movies have become real to me instead of entertainment (as you mentioned), and that is the source of my lowered threshold.

I just went and picked out my study bible. I found a Literary Study Bible! How about that for an English major? I am looking forward to using it.